Saturday 27 January 2007

Letter Writing

I think that there is nothing nicer than receiving a letter in the mail. When recieving a letter in the post it shows that this person has taken some of their time to think about you and your family. I think that the art of letter writing is becoming rather rare as it is so easy and sometimes quicker to pick up the phone and call. Now I certainly cant claim to be against using the phone as our phone bill will tell you otherwise, however the feeling that one gets when there is a letter in the post is rather warming and nice. In days gone by the whole family would gather around and either Mother or Father would read the letter aloud to everyone. When such letters were received they would be received with great excitement at the thought of discovering its contents and news.

As a child I used to write letters to friends who lived further afield, however as an adult I have found it hard to keep in touch with people and usually end up picking up the phone. This weekend I am going to set aside some time to write some letters to some dear friends and family, some of who I am sure will feel that their day was brigtened by receiving a hand written letter. I hope that this is something that the children will want to become more involved with and they will see that sometimes a letter says it best of all.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh my, I was the same way when I was a teenager. I had dreams of traveling and had penpals all over Europe. I wrote letters to 27 other teenagers as well as aunts, cousins, and grandparents. Recently, it took me 3 months to write a letter to my sister-in-law and another 4 months to put a stamp on it. That's HORRIBLE!