Wednesday 31 October 2007

Anyone for Halloween?

I really cant decide how I feel about Halloween. Part of me feels that it is just a bit of fun and an excuse for the children to get dressed up and then another part of me really doesnt like it at all. I dont like it when older kids knock at the door wearing their normal clothes asking for money "Penny for Halloween", they cant even get dressed up. The younger children who make the effort to be dressed up and have some kind of adult with them will be welcome to come to the house for "Sweeties". i dont even want to start on what the people at church feel towards the whole event. I shudder at the thought.

However my children dont miss out, Oh No....
We did go to a party this evening which is held at our church. It is a "Alternative Halloween party", the children are encouraged to get dressed up in their brightest of clothes, we make pizza, decorate biscuits, bob for apples and then instead of carving a scary face out of the pumpkin we carve out "Jesus" on one side and a cross on the other. Even the children who dont attend church who come always have a wonderful time. I guess it is one of those "Each to their own" moments.

No comments: